Home > Balloon Track, Bonnie Neely, California Coast, Eureka California, Humboldt County, Rob Arkley, Ryan Sundberg, Security National Servicing Corp., Virginia Bass > The Top 10 of 2010
The Top 10 of 2010
- Sundberg’s DUI (616 comments) — We begin our walk down memory lane with a story that broke records for most comments ever received on a single post on the Herald. The shocking revelation that a candidate for Humboldt County Supervisor had a twice-the-limit DUI followed by the giant media fail to report it in a timely manner. The Herald broke the story late on a Friday night as mail-in ballots were already making their way to the elections office. Despite the late posting, the proverbial fan was hit, spattering the walls on impact. But the controversy easily slid off the back of Ryan Sundberg who will be sworn in as Fifth District Supervisor on January 3, 2011.
- Freshwater Pulp Gets the Go-Ahead (503 comments) — Despite the headline, the pulp mill is now being dismantled after this particular prospect for good-paying jobs and local industry never got off the ground.
- Bass Campaigner Threatens Bonnie (484 comments) — The right-wing’s ultra-fanatical rhetoric against then-Supervisor Bonnie Neely erupted in the unchecked political passions of one young man who unwisely left a threatening phone message from a Google-able phone number at the campaign HQ. This misguided fellow surfaced again recently with an editorial proclaiming the anti-big box movement is dead and that a glorious future of jobs jobs jobs at Home Depot and other such saviors await us, hallelujah and amen.
- About this sacred zoo business (323 comments) — The “public safety vs. Sequoia Park Zoo” took a turn for the religious when the Times-Standard declared the zoo a “sacred” site.
- Healthy Humboldt running general plan radio ads (306 comments) — The title speaks for itself. A liberal org disseminates facts in order to educate the public on the county’s contentious General Plan Update. All hell breaks loose.
- Hello Arkleyville (306 comments) Here we have a tie. Even before all the election night votes were counted it was clear that our next four years will be like a carnival ride at Arkleyworld. Cotton candy Now!
- Tea Partier Challenges Chesbro (274 comments) — But in the California that lies outside Eureka, the tea party lost big in California on election night.
- Live blogging the Balloon Track zoning measure debate (273 comments) — The Arkley revolution to put Measure N on the November ballot. The promise of “Marina Center Now!” and its big box utopia has yet to materialize.
- Bonnie bashers head to Sacramento (246 comments) — Their mission: crash a campaign fundraiser. The result: nothing that night, but Neely lost re-election and the zealots have declared her the root of all problems that ever faced a developer anywhere and whose all mighty powers must be guarded against with garlic and crosses and fervent prayers to city hall.
- NCJ on the DUI (241 comments) — We conclude our list where we began, with the DUI (not) heard ’round the county — until many months later. The strange saga of a candidates criminal proceedings became a tepid tale about media’s failure to report and, in the case of the NCJ, the decision to withhold the story until after the Primary Election.