Occupy Eureka City Hall
The public comment period at Tuesday’s Eureka City Council meeting was mostly a smart and civil string of remarks in support of the goals of the global Occupy movement by activists, labor organizers and a local US Marine. They noted energy, economic and financial policies that enrich the 1% while leaving the 99% and the environment in shambles.
To bring it down to the local level some spoke against the job-killing mega-monstrosity known as Wal-Mart. One noted that city officials know which “mystery tenant” is moving into the Bayshore Mall but won’t release it to the public.
WalMart takes money away from the local economy to feed its mammoth influence as a “corporate person.” Instead of offering real job solutions WalMart will set Eureka on a race toward the bottom, forcing workers to rely on a diminishing public safety net to pad their low wages.
Eureka residents voted in 1999 to keep WalMart off the Balloon Track and thus, out of Eureka.